This will be my last message to you from the ‘year of retention’ which has been my focus for 2016 and I have a really good message to share with you. One of the software companies show on their business report the percentage of new clients who re-book and I have to say that across more than 20 salons (who use that programme) that I have carefully reviewed, it is not great. A look at a salon’s rebooking rate can show a healthy 55% or above but when you look at the new client rate in all cases it was under 20%.
My message is, you need to focus a lot more on retention of your new clients if only 20 out of every 100 are re-booking that is scary. Sure some might still return by booking at a later date.
My tips is this. When a new client is invited to re-book and says “no” for what ever reason, don’t allow your service to finish there. Offer a card with your name on it and say ‘Susi when you call for your next appointment, please ask for me as I would love to look after you.”
The client has two prompts then with the card. The name and contact of the salon and the name of the person who looked after them. As hairdressers and therapist you assume that people will remember your name. Sadly this does not happen.
Christmas Team Incentives
As you finish off your Christmas planning I thought I would share a couple of ideas you might like to consider to help keep everyone focused and excited in December.
- Choose a busy day and give a $1.00 Christmas Scratch It for each product that is sold.
- Choose a busy time of the day and announce you are having a prize for the lucky chair and someone will have a sticker under their chair.
- The week before Christmas have a prize for the person who sells the most Christmas packs.
- Secret Santa. Place a time of day (example 6.10pm) in a sealed red envelope and the person who sells a product immediately after the time gets what is in the envelope ( a $10 or $20 reward) You open the envelope at the end of the day.
- Santa’s helper. Have a Santa hat that you give to someone first thing in the morning to wear. That person can pass the hat onto another person when they do something helpful for a client or for a team member. Have a Santa sack of goodies in the back room. When they receive the hat they can choose something out of the Santa sack.
Keep everyone focused and happy and you will have a great Christmas.
Start to plan your December roster and look at what days you need full staff on and what days you can roster people off. Remember your full time and part time people must be given notice in writing to change their roster.
Please check your public holiday days in your respective state. Tuesday 27th December is an additional public holiday as Christmas day fall on a weekend. As is Monday 2nd January as New Year’s Day falls on a Sunday.
The big question to ask is “Are You Focused to Make It Happen” This year, is going to be a year that if you want it to happen, you will need to work at it. Clients will spend you just need to make sure you get your share. The ANZ bank says that people spend 50% more on credit cards in the month of December than any other month.
To date, I am seeing good growth on last year coming into November so that is good news. I believe those salons that market and manage their services and staff will see strong results. What you offer will need to be good. Good service and good reasons to buy.
No, this is not about you personally working an extra 12 hours a week, it is about you being a better manager and getting the results through your team.
You are only one person and the extra effort you put in can make a difference.
Let’s say you have 5 team members. Take a little time to motivate and direct each one of them and you will get a better result by 5 times.
How do you best do this?
Plan out your team meetings really well. Do something different “Turn On The Lights”. Talk about all the client service points that will make a difference.
Arrange a one on one with each team member for 15 minutes each week in November (yes it is worth the investment of time) and tell them what you expect in the lead up to Christmas and be sure to follow up with recognition for all the “well done’s” and feedback for the areas that need to improve.
Do something fun when it’s not expected in the lead up to Christmas.
The point of the fun theory is to say we value and appreciate you. When you give a little as the salon owner you will be amazed at what you get back.
Stock the fridge with treats. Healthy if that is how your staff like it – OR with all the naughty things if that is their pleasure.
Put up a different affirmation each day or each week.
Don’t get too busy and not work your Facebook and social media
Gift vouchers on line will be a growth area for those of you who offer this service, so check your web site and make sure you are 100% happy with it.
I could add another 40 things to this list. Make sure you have a plan this Christmas. Don’t just wait for it to happen…….Make it happen.
What’s New For 2017
As salons start to gear up for Christmas I start to work on my changes for 2017, so that at the beginning of the new year I am ready to give you some new fresh ideas and to get you focused on the old ones that are tried and tested. So this is what I am planning and thinking about:
- In January a new marketing planner for the whole year with new marketing ideas.
- An update to FB and Instagram ideas for the new year
- New team training subjects that are designed to motivate and educate your team
- We are introducing some new resources into our Your Coach shop to assist you with training and management development.
- I will be doing regular educational and personal development videos
- A brand new Your Coach web site
- An evening management programme in Brisbane that will cover 12 subjects over 6 sessions.
- I am booked for several speaking engagements both nationally and internationally.
- This is a really exciting one. In conjunction with Paula Hibbard Education there will be a new training opportunity for you that is a 6 subject programme that Paula and I have selected and Paula will deliver in 2017. It is tailored for staff communication and development. These will be delivered by skype and where possible in salon. Very excited so more information will come to you very soon.
- Plus I am sure I will come up with some extra bits as my creative juices flow.
That should keep me busy. Hope your planning is well under way or at least you have switched on your planning brain to search for what you can do that is new and different.
Online Shop Resource Review
Each month I will review a resource from our on line shop. You will find this resource in the Your Coach shop under Management resources www.yourcoachshop.com
This is a great kit for any manager who does not enjoy holding team meetings because they recognise they simply don’t do it well, or find it difficult to make a meeting interesting. Learn all the ideas the good communicators use to deliver an exciting team meeting. Contains many templates and handouts for team meeting subjects.
It was just before Christmas and the magistrate was in a happy mood. He asked the prisoner who was in the dock, ‘What are you charged with?’
The prisoner replied, ‘Doing my Christmas shopping too early.’
‘That’s no crime’, said the magistrate. ‘Just how early were you doing this shopping?’
‘Before the shop opened’, answered the prisoner.